Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Crossfit

Today is my one year crossfit anniversary. Yeah, many people don't remember their first day of their workouts, but crossfit isn't any workout. I remember heading to the CFPA box after an interview, nervous and excited about what the day might bring. There were barbells, kettlebells, pullup bars...and a roomful of extremely friendly people that immediately made me feel welcome and were quick to answer all my questions about what a Burpee is, what TGU stands for, how to do a "kip" on a bar. I can't remember what the skill was for that day, but I remember the WOD: 10->1 pushups alternating with 1->10 pull ups. Looking at it, it didn't seem all that hard. But boy was I in for a surprise. I set up my green band and waited for the clock to count down 3...2...1... and we were off. And before I knew if I was hurtin'; my arms were on fire, I was in pain but there were a group of people cheering my on and I sure as hell wasn't going ot quit until I was done. My pull ups and pushups weren't the "best quality" but I finished the WOD. And felt the high that comes with knowing you pushed yourself the hardest you could for those minutes. Yeah my biceps were barking and calluses were planted on both my hands. but I felt alive and on a high from my accomplishment.

These feelings have lasted the whole year. Yeah, crossfit and I have had our ups and downs. Last december I wound up with a tibial plateau fracture (stayed tuned for the post: C is for CRUNCH) and was sentenced to 8 weeks of not putting any weight on my Right leg. I was pretty downtrodden about my newfound gimptitude until Tim quipped at the CFPA christmas party that i could still do crossfit, we would just have to be creative about it. So I hopped over to Sport Authority and bought a small skateboard and would row one legged when the rest of the class would run and do one legged deadlifts when my gymmates got to use both their legs. But eventually my orthopedist cleared me for nonrestricted actionand I was back to serious crossfitting, wall balls and all.

My ohio license FINALLLY came through at the beginning of September and I started working, then we went off to cape cod for a week. Dan and I had a blast doing Fight Gone Bad at Crossfit Distinction and then we were off to Jackson...which was GREAT except for when "Colter" succeeded in bucking me off onto my Left side. I was ok except for some seriously bruised rib which screamed in protest whenever I tried to do a pullup or situp let alone a snatch. Reluctantly (I'm a terrible patient) I put myself on "crossfit rest". Four weeks later, however, I feel ready to go and hit the gym with a vengeance yesterday.

Was it my best WOD? nope. Am I ridiculously sore today? You bet. Did I love it?Hells yeah.

The WOD was 3 round of 300ft KB waiters walk, 30 pullups and 15 thrusters. After 6 weeks of hiatus, I was down to a thicker band than I was used to and had to scale the Thrusters to 55 down form 65 but I pushed thorugh. It felt so great to be doing a WOD with other crossfitters, with our coaches cheering us on, doing one (or 15) more reps even when all I wanted to do was be DONE. 18+mins wasn't a great time, but still I finished and today my quads were on fire as I limped around the ED.

You know what I can't wait for? To do another WOD tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment