Wednesday, May 23, 2012

...caveman garden part deux

I know you are all waiting in suspense about how La Jardin Du Grog is faring after it's massive planting this past Saturday. Wait no more! Most of the plants are happy and healthy! I think the best looking are the Costa Rica Red Peppers: (but then I am biased given my love for both that country and red peppers)
The blueberries are also faring well!!! Yum Dericious.
They all got quite a drenching when I got home from work this afternoon. Turns out farming is pretty fun already, and I haven't even gotten to the pickin' and eatin' stage yet. Growing up in very suburban NJ and then spending close to a decade in the urban jungle of NYC, this is all pretty foreign to me. I didn't even know about the urban sustainability movement until this year. The closest I got to growing anything before this was when I tried to grow my own pumpkin in first grade. The darn plant insisted on growing sideways instead of nice and straight. Lil' Jen didn't quite realize that Cinderella's pumpkin grew alongside the ground and got so frustrated that she gave up the farm dream altogether. Expect for the yearly Basil plants I purchase from Trader Joe's and always manage to forget to water. I'm much better with taking care of our cats. They trip me if their bowl registers "empty". Danimal on the other hand had a garden growing up in La Honda and is quite facile with the dirt and plants. I have no delusion that this Jardin is mostly his handywork. But I'm pitching in and really stoked to learn more! Even if there might be spider sightings involved
I must say, I always heard farming was hard work but it never registered just how difficult and labor intensive it could be. It's changing my appreciation of growing food and appreciation of where my food comes from.
Now the next question - what veggie will be harvestable first? 

No comments:

Post a Comment